Some time ago I tried rep-strapping using 5-1/4” diskdrive motors and MDF wood. (see here). The motors turned out to be way too weak, the M5 thread way to slow. Perhaps a larger thread (M12) and some bigger steppermotors can save this evening of work.
In this second attempt I have been using only the parts of three old dot-matrix printers (star LC10) and other computer parts. (I cheated a little bit. So far the extra parts include a big slab of MDF wood and two M8 bolts with washers and nuts)
So far I have build a 3D cartesian robot using the three printers. For the Z-axis I have added the mechanism of a CD-ROM player. Next part will be the motor control (also using the salvaged motor control hardware from the original printers) and an extrusion head (probably not completely from printer- or discarded computer-junk parts)